Friday, October 10, 2014

Pretty Little Underthings



The first time I needed new undergarments in Japan, I went to the Wacoal store in the local Yokohama mall. (There is a Wacoal section in Shijo Daimaru as well.) As you can expect, I spent a fortune on a basic bra and panty set. However, there are changing rooms and it was good to be able to try on the bras in order to find the right Japanese sizing. The bra ran about 6000 yen, the underwear around 4800 yen. A size conversion chart can be found here.


After moving to Kyoto I found myself in need of a basic black slip. After looking around a bit, I found something suitable, for around 2500 yen, at Amo's style (locations on both Shijo and in the underground mall at Kyoto station). They also have fitting rooms, which was a plus because slip sizing was also different from sizing in the States. I noted that, in addition to the bountiful "girly" and "doll-like" lingerie, they also had a few affordable more basic sets.








When I popped into Uniqlo yesterday I strolled down the underwear aisle and was surprised to find a set that was INCREDIBLY SIMILAR to the seamless set I paid so much for at Wacoal. I picked up a set of bra and underwear (conveniently sized S, M, L) for under 2500 yen. You can even order online in English! This will be my new go-to place for basic undergarments!

No comments:

Post a Comment